Herbert H. Lehman Institute of Talmudic Ethics
Search this Collection
The Herbert H. Lehman Institute of Talmudic Ethics was founded in 1956 and opened in 1958 at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York. The aim of the Lehman Institute was to train Conservative rabbis and rabbinical students in the relevance of Talmudic traditions and other fields of Jewish learning to everyday moral and ethical decision-making. Particular emphasis was laid on the study of human rights. The Lehman Institute was named after Governor Lehman, a Seminary board member, on his eightieth birthday.